Saturday, October 11, 2008

6th week of School

I am finding it hard to believe that I have been in school six weeks, doesn't seem like it has been quite that long. Otherwise classes have been going well, and I finally finished my 3rd Color and Design project. See below. The assignment was to take a leaf draw it on a large sheet of paper that had been divided into rectangles and then fill in the sections using the methods assigned in a handout. The handout required that we use various media and techniques, like color marker, color pencil, ink, brush, pen and even a twig , that one was a bit strange needless to say. So below is my leaf, I used a Japanese Maple leaf, see the upper right corner for what the leaf looks like when it isn't divided into sections. Since some of this was done using stipple and crosshatch, it has taken way too long to get done. I don't know if I like this or not, but it was an interesting exercise to do.



Drawing class this week had us using white chalk on black paper, the torso below is my third effort, my first which I didn't take a picture of was some more of our white vases, but this time the background was black. The torso I was drawing was also black, so what I needed to draw was the light hitting the torso, not quite as easy as it sounds.



The picture below was actually my second study, a bust (not sure the material, plaster I think) of a young girl, mine doesn't look as young as she should, and I have decided that I need to try and do more drawings of faces and heads. But with that in mind I sort of like how she turned out. I have to say that this style of drawing is exhausting to do, haven't been so exhausted after a class since the first full drawing class we did. I was wiped, and didn't manage to do much of anything that evening.



My last image for you this week is the homework I did for last week, more of the negative space drawings - or erasures since that is what I am really doing, erasing the background and leaving the dark for the image, in this case a plant. I had tried doing a pen and ink of a small jade plant, but it wasn't a good composition, not enough plant. My problem was that the rest of my plants were too dense for me to be able to draw them this way, and I wasn't taking a pair of scissors to my plants just so I could do some homework. This is a young Christmas Cactus which worked, though I did simplify some areas. I am pleased with this one, since I got an A on it



That's it for this week, sorry that some of the pictures aren't very good, but I don't want to spend a lot of time on them so am not pinning them to something to take the photo's, that means that sometimes the paper slumps a bit. Still they are good enough to give you an idea of what I have been doing. In the Computer graphics class we are working with Illustrator using the pen tool, what a pia that tool can be to use, however it is a critical one so I need to master it.

No comments:

Post a Comment