Tuesday, November 9, 2010

November 8th drawing session & Pears


Above is last nights drawing.  Scott moved the spot light so shadows are a bit different this week. I probably should have moved to another location for a different view of the pose, but I rather like this drawing so perhaps it is just as well that I didn't move.

We didn't have all that many folks at the session this week. One new (well new to me) gentleman, who I gather usually attends short pose sessions. He was also drawing with a pencil, but he left early so I really didn't get a chance to see his drawing. Our last weeks model arrived to paint, and you can tell she is a beginning painter, for all that she didn't do that badly, she has good drawing skills so at least the figure was looking good. She had a bit too much red splashed around. Since there wasn't anything red put out last night I am not sure where that color came from. There was a pink length of fabric, and the couch is a brick red, but she chose to use a bright red, and that sort of overwhelmed everything else. I made no comments, after all I don't paint so who am I to judge.

The one thing I am pleased with in the above drawing is the models face. It actually sort of looks like her, meaning the live model. Considering that when I first started live figure drawing the face was the last thing I wanted to draw, I think I have made some real progress. I have been able to draw faces well for about a year now, but it would take me forever with many erasures. It is now taking me less time, though I admit to a few erasures last night before I got it right.

My other image for you this week is actually a scan of a small pen and ink work that I have been working on for about a month. It started with just the outside frame, which I had pretty much finished a couple of weeks ago, but I wasn't sure how I wanted to do the center. First I didn't have a subject, and then when I had decided on the pears I wasn't sure how I wanted to do them; colored pencil or keeping with the outer border technique, pen and ink stippling.


As you can see after some waffling I stuck with the stipple technique for the pears, rendering them in black and white. This piece has been done entirely with a technical pen, and while there are some drawn lines most of this was done by stippling, or making little dots of ink one at a time. There is an area of solid black in the middle area between the pears, but otherwise it is all dots. Needless to say it takes hours of work to do even a piece this size which is 6 x 9 inches. The pears of course are the same ones I used for the Three Pear mini quilt.

That is it for today's post. I have some ATC's but I am going to save those for another day. I don't like making my posts too long, as is I probably write to much anyway. Per usual comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment