Saturday, April 28, 2012

A Barn, a band aid, with flowers


Above is a barn done in pen and ink (no pencil) from another of WetCanvas Pen and Ink forum's April challenge photographs. I Should have spent more time on it as I managed to get the angles for the roof coverings a bit off. and I am not sure that the farm implement shows up as well as it could have. Still I got the values pretty much right and that always makes up for a lot of other deficiencies. Stone isn't easy to render in pen and ink, and I think I did a semi good job with it.


Above is another of the Everyday Matters challenges. This one is a band aid for challenge #238 Draw something from a first aid kit. I don't actually have a first aid kit in Apt. But I do have several of the standard ingredients, band aids, salve, an ace bandage or two. With no kids in my life first aid kits aren't usually something I need.


Above is another update on the pencil drawing I am working on. This still isn't done, and I am not quite sure what colors I will put in the spaces under my pool. I need to add some more greens so it may be that. Also thinking about adding some other details, but I won't get to specific here in case I decide not to do it. Have to think about it a bit more, as I don't want to ruin it at this point.

Getting here has taken more time than you might think as I have to work slowly with the pencils, and every element is using between 3 to 4 different colors/pencils.


Two flower photographs today. The top one is a Trout Lily blooming in the Blue Hills Reservation. The flowers aren't as perfectly formed as they could be, and when I was there there were only a few open. I think a late frost may have gotten to these. Oddly enough the ones out at Borderland bloomed over a week earlier and didn't show any malformation.


Sorry about my fingers, but it was so windy the day I was making this photograph (the same day I made the Trout Lily photo) that I needed to hold the branch steady. Still I rather like this image of pink dogwood flowers in bloom. Lilacs are also blooming. Both the dogwoods and lilacs don't usually bloom here in MA until the middle of May so they are being exceptionally early this year, while the Trout Lilies, a perennial spring flower, are blooming pretty much on their normal schedule of late April.

At least we finally got some rain last week so things aren't quite as dry as they were a week ago.

That is it for today. Hope everyone has a great weekend, and per usual comments are always welcome.

8 comments:

  1. I have to say you did an excellent job with the barn! I'm most impressed, The colored pencil drawing is coming along nicely, and the photos are beautiful. nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great, but my favourite is the band-aid - I love the way you've drawn it open and ready to be used!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, thanks for the comments, looking at the barn today, I am feeling a bit better about it, when I first finish one of these pen and ink works I mainly notice what didn't go right, not always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pinkdrawing, well I had a choice about the band-aid, but an unopened one would have been so boring to draw so it didn't seem like much of a choice to me, got to put some challenge in some of these one object drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely sketches, and I really like the pencil drawing designs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex Thanks for your comments I enjoy playing with shapes and colors, this one isn't turning out as abstract as it started, more surreal than abstract I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathleen, I've just found your blog and will be coming back.
    I want to say that you are very critical of yourself but I understand that as I am of myself.
    Your barn is wonderful and I wouldn't worry about the machinery-it is being hugged by the grass and weeds and to me it signifies that it was of another era and it lies there like the barn-forgotten.
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kay, thanks for your comments, you remind me that though it is part of my process to critique my work, I should perhaps not do it on the blog. Seeing where I went wrong is important to me, but not necessarily to my readers, who may or may not see the same errors.

    ReplyDelete