Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Nature Journal, WIP and a Figure


Not a lot of work to post today so I am again starting with my Nature Journal page from my visit to Daniel Webster MA Audubon Sanctuary yesterday. The day was more March like weather wise then some of the days we had in March. Temp in the mid 40's with off and on clouds (with rain) and sun. Thankfully it didn't rain while I was in the Sanctuary but it had on my drive over.

Drawings for this page are some more turtles, these were clustered on a rock in the pond. The water level is going down and we could really use a good soaking rain. I don't like the gloomy weather but. The bottom image is of an Eastern Phoebe sitting on the end of a branch. They come to the pond to find insects and tend to sit on branches until they spot one, then it swoops in to collect its snack returning to a perch for more watching. I was very happy to see these birds back again this spring, they are one of those that leave for the winter.

The green wing teal were also in evidence at the pond, I had a chance for a good photo but botched it by making too much noise in the blind, scaring the bird into flying off. If they hang around longer I may manage a good photo, but I am not holding my breath. Oh I also saw a female Osprey on their nest stand. Unfortunately the stand is so far away that you need field glasses to even make it out, so no chance for photos there.


I have been busily working on this stipple border piece. So far so good, 2 corners done and one side. Not a lot to say about it, but so far I am pleased with how it is coming out. I am going to have to start thinking about what to put in the center soon.


Above is last nights figure drawing. Some parts I am pleased with and others, well there is always next week. A new model to me, though I gather she modeled for Scot several years ago so she was known to him.

We had a good sized group last night so it was a fun evening.

I have been going through some of my older art work and destroying it these past few days. Mostly short pose drawings from my figure class 3 years ago. I would prefer to just toss them in the trash but I don't want anyone "rescuing" them so feel better about it when I tear things up. I really need to weed out some of my figure drawings that I did in past couple of years. A few are good, many are OK but some are not very good at all. Even paper accumulates when one is busy creating art.


Finally I have a couple of photographs from my visit to Daniel Webster yesterday. Above is an apple tree just starting to bud out. Should be apple blossoms before the end of the month.


Above is my reference photo for my turtle sketch in the Nature Journal. The two on the left were just hauling themselves out of the water to join the 3 already on the rock. The do seem to like to pile up, and notice that they are mostly all of the same size. I am sure there is a reason but I don't know what it is. Oh, I believe these are all painted turtles, we have other varieties in the state (notably snapping turtles) but I have only noticed painted turtles in the pond.

That is it for today, I will hopefully have some new pen and ink drawings for the next update. The April Challenge photo's are up in the WetCanvas pen and ink forum, and I have told myself that I need to practice drawing with just ink. In the meantime comments are always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment