Tuesday, June 24, 2014

More Watercolor and some colored pencil


Above is another plein air watercolor painting. I wasn't in the mood to spend a lot time at something so I chose what I thought would be a simple if not entirely quick subject, a blooming rose. Hmm, I suppose it would have been easier if in the middle of my session the petals hadn't started dropping off one by one. I didn't touch it, but there was a bit of a breeze and I guess that was enough.

Not sure how successful this is, but at least I tried. Next time I try a flower I need to see if I can find one that isn't pink.


After a trip to the Library yesterday I, per usual, wandered over to the nearby park. Wasn't in the mood to try another watercolor after my problems with the rose so ended up making a quick sketch of a youngish girl accompanied by an older woman. I have a feeling she was some sort of caregiver, but really don't know. They sat for a bit at one of picnic tables, long enough for me to manage the quick sketch.

I am using a mechanical pencil and I don't really like the lead. I have a feeling it might be a 2H as I don't seem to be able to get the darks as easily or as quickly as I would prefer. But I want to draw in pencil and don't want to haul a pencil sharpener with  me, so mechanical pencils are my best option. Maybe I can find a softer lead to replace what I have in the pencil. I will have to look the next time I out and about.

I wasn't totally pleased with it when I was working on it, but looking at it now I think the one tree isn't as poorly done as I had originally thought. Though it is really buildings that I should be trying to work on, as I am not terribly good with them, and I would like to include buildings in my watercolors at some point.


Above are some leaves and a flower stalk of the Linden Tree. The park where I made the above drawing has a couple of Linden trees, and somewhat to my surprise I also discovered there was one growing in the next door neighbors yard. Exactly how it got there I am not sure, since I am pretty sure it wasn't planted by the homeowner.

The ones in the park haven't quite started blooming by the one next door already has little yellow flowers. The leaves are a glossy green, and it is an attractively shaped tree. The main veins of the leaves are much lighter colored than the surrounding leaf.

Drawn first with pencil in my sketch book then color added by using colored pencil.


Above is an update on the stipple project, I didn't get a lot done but the structure of the leaf is starting to become apparent.


This last image is a close up photograph of a milkweed flower. They are really quite intricate. Above you can see not only a full front view but a side view of the flowers. Pink against green, it appears to be one of my favorite color combinations, at least for photographs.

That is it for today, per usual comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment