Sunday, November 23, 2008

Fast Friday Fabric Challenge #26

Well better late then never I suppose what am I talking about? Why my quilt for the Fast Friday Fabric Challenge from October. I have finished this just prior to getting the new challenge for November which we will get next Friday. This challenge, number 26 for the group, was to do something using perspective in monochromatic colors with our theme. My theme is Structures, which for my first challenge I used houses. This month I decided to go with an outdoor structure and decided to use this picture of a bridge on the Chicago lakefront that I took of my family a couple of years ago.


I decided to try and be as minimalist as I could be and I wanted to use non-commercial hand dyed fabrics. I went through my stash of hand dyes and ended up using the blues which seemed a better color choice then some of the colors that I actually had a better selection of. I didn't have quite enough light colored blues in the stash so ended up using one commercial fabric for the water in the front and a light batik for the sky. But I think the print I choose even if it is a commercial print works with the concept.



Above is the sketch I drew the of the scene leaving out the family, I didn't think they would work well in monochrome, and would make things to busy. I then used the sketch to create the templates I needed for the top. I used freezer paper for the templates which I ironed onto appropriate fabrics. The pieces are then machine appliqued to the background, and then the top was quilted and bound. Sure sounds like it should have been faster then it was, but school work got in the way, not to mention I was having a problem decided how to quilt the bridge so it sat for longer then it should have. I finally got the bridge quilted yesterday and it was then fairly quick to finish the rest of the quilting, trim, tuck threads away and apply and sew down the binding. So here it is. The blue accent lines on the bridge and breakwater were done with Tsukineko fabric ink which I used to give some additional visual lines instead of using more different fabrics. It is approx 12.5 x 13.5 inches. As always comments are welcome.