Saturday, March 14, 2009

Finished Quilt



It's done. Finally, but no one could ever say I was speedy when it comes to making even a twin sized quilt. According to my notebooks I started this top in April of 1995. The top was pieced and bordered by March 2000, when I purchased the backing fabric for it. From my notes I sandwiched the top in May 2000, and started the quilting. I did a basic grid then got stuck with how to quilt this top and put it aside until November 2008. After all quilts do need to age before being quilted don't they? I decided to take out the block quilting I had done and start over. I finished the quilting early February and got the binding sewn on. Because of school work it has taken me way too long to get the binding sewn down, but this morning I took the last stitches. It still needs a label, but otherwise it is done. Above is a picture of only part of the quilt, below is an almost full on image. I don't really have a good place to hang it so that one corner is draped over a curtain rod, and the bottom isn't totally straight. Still you can get a good idea of what it looks like.

Fabrics used were batiks/hand dyes for the colors. The borders and gray sashing are more batiks, the black and white fabrics are commercial prints. The pattern on the inner blocks is Double X, though I reversed the lights and darks, the border blocks are Friendship Stars. All of the pieced blocks are six inches. Batting for this quilt is Fairfield 100% cotton.


No comments:

Post a Comment