Thursday, May 21, 2009

Nature Sketching #2

I am trying to draw something everyday, if not a finished drawing then at least sketches. I read the 3rd chapter in my drawing from nature book and I think that is the major piece of information that I took away. Course I already knew that, if you want to draw something well you need to draw it over and over, and you need to do a lot of drawings.

I decided this past week that I want to improve my animal drawing skills so I downloaded some pictures of squirrels and printed them out as smallish images on one sheet of paper. I used those for my rough sketches. The image below is just one page of dwgs I did more then one.


Then I moved on to do a more detailed study from a photo I had taken of a squirrel in a Chicago park. Cheeky fellow, he had no fear of us two legged folk, I have a feeling people fed him, this is certainly a begging pose.

I have also started a pen and ink study of some sea gulls, a composite drawing from some photo's I took earlier this year.



I am also working on a small quilt. Hopefully my next blog update will be pictures of that. Until then happy drawing, and per usual comments are welcome. Oh, one additional comment, the pencil drawings were small enough that I could scan them, I think they are easier to see if scanned, the sea gulls is a bit larger so I had to take a photo, also the pencil I used to sketch them is a harder lead, easier for me to erase later, but harder for you to see in the photo.

3 comments:

  1. I think your drawings look great! One of the things I'm hoping to work on is sketching faster so I can do it in real life also. Check out this blog I found - she does alot of sketching outside:
    http://drawingthemotmot.wordpress.com/
    -Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I left a comment on your blog re the hands, as for getting faster you do that by just doing it, doesn't make sense I know, but I learned that drawing from the live model, you just have to do it. At first I couldn't get enough on the paper to make the drawing look even human, but eventually I learned what to leave out and what to put in. So just start, you will get faster. Memory is also a factor with outside drawing, and that can be trained. As for Debby's work - beautiful thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that IS a wonderful blog link.... I'll write Janet and ask if she'd like to share it on the drawing blog!

    Kathy...I LOVED seeing the rough sketches before the finished sketch of the squirrel... I can learn just by looking at the various stages of roughness, if you know what I mean!

    Thanks for sharing, Sarah

    ReplyDelete