Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Nature Drawings #6

I managed to spend a bit more time last week doing some drawings, including some rather aimless sketches. I won't inflict the sketches on you as I am not quite sure where I am trying to go or what I am looking for. I am looking for a design idea but you couldn't tell it by the results.

First image I have for you isn't wonderful, some areas aren't right but I didn't want to spend more time on it so this is it, a cat cleaning its paws.


Photo from Cat's Magazine

Next is a milkweed pod after releasing all its seeds. I rather like how this one turned out. Not sure if I should consider this part of my Nature Drawing studies. My next exercise there is to do shadows and toning, which I did do on the milkweed pod, but the book suggests doing a solid object, like an onion or other veggie. So I may get some fresh veggies at the store and see what I can do for next week. This is from one of my photos.


For the next drawing I was working from one of the downloaded photos I found for drawing chipmunks. I really liked this one with a little guy eating some berries.



Last image for this week is a drawing I did from a photo in National Geographic. It is from one of the Cannon Ad's, I love using their photos for sketches. They usually have interesting animals with good compositions. This time it was a couple of Parrots. Birds can be tricky trying to get the feathers so that they feel like they have texture.



That's it for this week. I have a new quilt challenge to work on. I think I will go back to a smaller size, they are a bit quicker. So not sure what will be in the update for next week. As always comments are welcome. Wishing those who celebrate a Happy 4th of July and for our Canadian neighbors a Happy Canada Day.

2 comments:

  1. All your drawings are very beautiful. I think you are too critical of yourself (aren't we all?)...you're a natural.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darla Thanks for your comments, and yes most of us tend to be critical of what we do, but I think that isn't always a bad thing it keeps us looking for ways to improve and exploring options, open to new ideas which is a good thing

    ReplyDelete