Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Feb Drawings and Good News


Above is last nights drawing. Not as simplified as last weeks drawing but also not as detailed as what I had been doing. Not sure I have the mix right yet but I think I prefer this weeks drawing to last weeks. I kept the background shadows lighter and I think that is less distracting for the viewer.

At least this week I was able to get a fairly good photograph. It has been cloudy all day with some snow flurries (we had a light dusting of snow overnight). Still it was light enough this morning for me to make the above photo. Course it helped that it was warm enough this weekend to melt the snow on the porch so I was able to get outside to make the picture.

Below are three images of what I have been working on instead of designing and making my FFFC challenge quilt. All three are pen and ink drawings, done with technical pens on hot press watercolor paper.

I start by drawing a square in pencil on a 7.5 inch square of paper. Then I draw, again with pencil, the featured animal with any important features - like the tree branches. Once the pencil work is finished I ink in the outlines of my penciled sketch and then fill in the animals and backgrounds with random fills and lines.


The image above is a crow sitting on a branch. The landscape is pure fantasy.


The image above is a rabbit in a garden looking for breakfast or maybe dinner, your choice. 


This last image is a squirrel sitting on a branch viewing the countryside. 
I am finding these little drawings a lot of fun to do, and have at least one more in the works. Since I am thinking of other animals I could feature I think this series will run a bit longer.

My last image is actually a reprise of one I posted last spring. I learned this morning that this etching has been juried into the Boston Printmakers 7th Biennial show. It is in the Student show, but still I am very honored and happy to have been selected. Massasoit submitted 26 prints and only 14 were juried in. The show is on exhibit starting February 27 through May 1st at the Danforth Museum of Art in Framingham, MA. The etching is my version of an old master, the gentleman was originally walking his dog along the riverbank.  I never expected this to be the one selected but needless to say I am thrilled.



That is it for today. Comments per usual are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment