Friday, May 27, 2011

More Every Day in May Drawings


About the only drawing I have managed this week has been for the Every Day in May challenge. I managed to get behind, not terribly, but badly enough that I had to spend a fair amount of time catching up. I did the rocks in the above grouping before the slump and then the next three all in the same evening. Because I was trying to catch up those three drawings are just done with pencil.

The worst one of the group is the flashlight in the upper right corner. I was using a reference photo and wasn't very interested in the subject so I just got it done. The rocks on the other hand I am quite pleased with, they were stones I picked up on a beach out in California, and yes that top rock is really that redish/purple color.

The coin is an old one that my grandfather acquired in France, my mother had set in the ring so it could be hung on a chain and gave it to my Aunt. My Aunt gave it to me, and I need to decide who I should pass it on to. The ring at the top needs repair as it is very worn, but the coin is still in beautiful condition.

What can I say about the phone, it was sitting there and I had to draw something shaded. Since just about everything I draw is shaded I did something simple.


For the next grouping, I was still trying to catch up when I drew the bell. This is also from a reference photograph, but I enjoyed the challenge of drawing a bell so spent more time with it. I rather like how it came out.

For the 24th our challenge was to draw something yellow. I was going to eat the banana and draw something else, but decided that the banana would really make the best subject so put off the eating until after I got it drawn. As you can see it was getting a bit ripe.

For the 25th our challenge was to draw a bird. I have had several reference photographs of goldfinch laying around for months. I was going to draw an ATC picturing one and then never got around to it. So the decision to use it for that challenge subject was easy. I enjoy the challenge of drawing birds, not sure I have this one quite right, but it isn't bad. The background could be better but I had one more drawing to do and so rushed the background a bit.

My last image is for the 26th (yesterday) and the one that caught me up is of a sponge. This is a new one, but of the type I use for dishes. Not a "real" sponge I know, but what I had on hand. Actually I think it came out rather well. I think it looks like the sponge I was drawing, which isn't quite as easy as it might seem at first glance. Todays challenge is to draw a skyscape, and I need to go check reference photos for that one.

If you wish to see larger images of any of my drawings please visit my flickr stream, link to the right. If you are curious about what the rest of the artists are drawing click here.


I wanted to share just a couple of my photographs that I have made in the past week or so. Above is an unknown butterfly. If anyone can identify it please leave me a comment. So far I haven't had any luck figuring it out via the internet. Photo was made in Massasoit State Park, East Taunton, MA. last week.

This week I visited a new park for me, Ames Newell State Park, it is a small park with a lake for fishing and boating, I made several photographs that I like that I have posted to my flickr stream. I thought I would share this photograph of a Pink Lady Slipper. I still don't have a photograph of one that I really like, but this one isn't bad.



The flowers are so low to the ground and with that overhanging leaf/petal it is hard to get a good view of the bloom. They are a protected flower so even if they weren't in a State park I would never pick one. I will just have to keep trying to make what I feel is a really good photograph, if not this year then hopefully next.

That is it for today. Hope everyone here in the States has a great Memorial Day weekend. Drive safely if you travel. Remember that comments and questions are always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment