Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Drawing Thread, Journal, figure, ferns


Above is a sketch of a bowl of thread, another drawing of "everyday" objects. I don't use thread everyday, in fact I haven't sewn anything for months. But this bowl of thread sits on the table where my sewing machine sits and I see it every day. Not my best drawing, but I think I still managed to capture the look of a bunch of spools of thread in a bowl.

Next image is another page out of my Field Journal:


I was out at the Daniel Webster Sanctuary yesterday prior to heading over to the Studio for the weekly long pose session. What a beautiful day, partly cloudy but still lots of sun, a lovely breeze, and temps only in the upper 70's to low 80's, low humidity. I wasn't the only one who felt it was a good day to get out and about. I saw more people yesterday at the sanctuary then I have seen in all my other visits this summer combined.

No special birds though I did watch one grayish bird catching insects at the pond for a bit. I can't figure out what it was, maybe a Mockingbird, though I have never read that they caught insects on the wing as this one was doing. Sorry don't have a good photo of it.

I did perform a minor rescue. When I arrived there was a Monarch butterfly trapped inside the visitors building. I caught and released it outside, I hope it survives OK, it was able to fly away so there is some hope. I didn't make any photo's of it. Seemed cruel to do that when it was trying so hard to get out through the glass of the window.

Below is last nights figure drawing:


Our model was the one we were supposed to have a couple of weeks ago only she didn't show. Humph, well she sat the pose very well last night so I suppose we will have to forgive her. Scott arranged the pose in a very different manner, usually our models are semi lounging but last night she was sitting upright in a chair. Light source was basically on the floor and gave some very strong shadows. Makes it so much easier to draw the model when there are strong shadows. I am fairly pleased, though I struggled a bit to get the shapes blocked, location positions of hands and feet were the issue.

One last drawing, just an update on the stippled ferns:


Progress is slow on this, but there has been progress. More of the background has been filled in and I have started working a bit on the third fern head.

One last photograph:


Made yesterday at the Daniel Webster Sanctuary. Canada Geese coming in for a landing at the pond. There were several bunches of geese at the sanctuary yesterday. I can only assume the geese have started their fall migration and were using the sanctuary as a fuel and rest stop.

That is it for today's post, per usual comments are welcome.

No comments: