Friday, August 26, 2011

Ferns Finished


I consider this done, well I have done just a bit more tweaking since I made the scan but I doubt it would be noticed so I haven't re-scanned the image. I rather like how this came out. Though I don't think I will use Stonehendge paper for any ink work other than stippling. The paper seems a bit soft. Still it is rated for ink and in this case I think the black and grey paper really work together. White paper would have been too harsh.

I only wish it didn't take so long to do a stipple piece. I have spent many, many hours on this in the past couple of days.

Next just a little drawing:


On my visits to Long Pasture on the Cape I have been photographing the sheep. On my second visit the woman who takes care of them arrived and let them out of their pen. I was able to make several good photos including the one I used as reference to the above drawing. I didn't spend  lot of time on this, but I rather like how it came out. A very woolly sheep, which had been sheared the last time I visited.

Another page from my Journal:


In this case I wrote most of the Journal while visiting Borderland State Park in Easton, MA. but did the drawings at home using my photographs as reference. The mushrooms which I wanted to do needed color. While I was on my walk making photographs of the various mushroom that had popped up do to our latest rain, I ran into a woman who was harvesting them. The mushroom in the book are 3 eatable varieties that she had harvested to take home. She had a couple of bins of various types of mushrooms that she had harvested. From her accent I would say she was from Central Europe so probably grew up harvesting mushrooms in the wild. Not something I plan to take up, way too easy to make a mistake. But it was fun chatting with her.

The building in the Journal is the lodge which is down by one of the ponds and has a couple of fireplaces inside. I am sure it was used by the family for summer evening entertainments.

A couple of photos from my visit to the Park:


A view of one of the ponds. There was an intermittent breeze that day but when when I made this photo the pond surface was so flat it was a perfect mirror of a very blue sky.


Not the best photo of this Common Buckeye butterfly. I have one showing both wings but the focus is a bit off, so this will have to do.

That is it for today. Hope everyone on the East Coast of the US is preparing for Irene, my wish is that she down grades to just a tropical storm, but I have a feeling that isn't going to happen soon. Stay safe, stay dry if you can.

1 comment: