Saturday, September 17, 2011

Fall Leaves Finished


Above is the final version of Fall Leaves, color is colored pencils, at least two different colors for each color you see above. In each area I would lay in one color then lay a second color over it. I think it gives the colors more depth then just trying to use a single colored pencil. Layering the colors has given the original more vibrancy which the scan lacks.

I think I like this, and am thinking that a slightly larger work which is more rectangular might be interesting. Something to explore if/when I feel the need for a new project.

Below is a scan of the current status of the mushrooms:


Sorry that it looks so light, but that is about where it is. I have transferred the shapes to my final paper and have started laying in the mushroom colors. I used red/orange as the transfer color so I won't have to fight any graphite on this. There is graphite marking the outer edges but I have lightened it a lot and will lighten it some more before I finish. The paper looks a bit orange here, it isn't actually, I am using cream colored  Stonehenge for this drawing. More of my exploring the various Stonehenge papers.

Below are a couple more of my Journal pages:


The above page is from a visit to my local city park. Field Park in Brockton, MA is the home of the city's water reservoir. This summer has been good rain wise so the water levels are actually high enough that water is flowing over the spillways. I have seen years where that wasn't true.  I have really spent a lot of time in this park, esp. with the camera, though this is the first time I have written about it in the Journal. It is a popular place to walk and to feed the water fowl.

Images are of a Northern Red Oak leaf that I plucked from a tree. It is similar to the Black oak leaf I drew in another journal entry, it has more tips so it looks more jagged. The second drawing is of a youngish gull. It was the lone gull in a mix of ducks and Canada Geese being feed at one of the lower ponds. Not totally pleased with how this came out, but it will have to do. The gull still had a lot of brown in its feathers. As it ages they will turn white with some grey, I believe this is a Herring Gull.


Yesterday I went back down to Massasoit State Park. They have a cranberry bog right next to the park, and though I really couldn't get a good photo the bog looks to be full of cranberries. I expect the growers will have a good harvest this year.

The images from yesterday are a Sweetgum leaf at the top and a couple of different views of a ground cover called Partridge berry. The Sweetgum tree is a bit odd to find in the Park as we are really north of its usual growing range. Still the south shore winters aren't as cold as the rest of the State and from the size of this tree it has obviously adapted very well. Since it located in the Park entrance area I am guessing that the tree was planted and wasn't a volunteer.

The bottom drawing is actually two different views of a low ground cover plant called Partridge Berry which at this time of year has red berries. They are very pretty against the glossy green leaves. The first view is from the ground, while the second is from directly above looking down on the plants. They tend to congregate together and form a mat covering the ground. It is a native plant that has been transferred to the garden because it stays green through the winter.



The last image today is of Jerusalem Artichokes in bloom. This native sunflower is known for it tall yellow flowers and its eatable roots. I made this photo at Rico Lake in Massasoit State Park.

That is it for today. Per usual comments are always welcome.

2 comments:

  1. As always your journal pages are so full of information and really like your drawings to go with the write-up. As for your Fall Leaves, I think this is wonderful, so much work in them and such a successful outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann thanks so much for your comments, selecting images to illustrate in the journal is so far not that difficult, but I expect over time it will get trickier.

    ReplyDelete