Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Flash to the Past with some of today



The drawing above is old, really old, I drew it back in 1973, and no I wasn't a child prodigy, I was in my early 20's and exploring drawing shapes and textures with graphite. Here it is over 40 years later and I am back doing the same thing. Well, not quite of course, I am not the same person I was back then, though I think the core me hasn't changed that much. I feel I am now a much more proficient artists, being far more skillful with the human form than I was back in my youth.

I have shown Scott, the artist whose studio I attend for the weekly life drawing sessions, some of my current pencil abstracts. He likes them and is encouraging me to continue working in this style. Since I find it relaxing and enjoyable to draw these I don't need a lot of encouragement to do so.

Below is a wip scan of my current pencil drawing, and no it isn't finished, getting there but not done. I started this when the ink/colored pencil drawing I was working on wasn't going the way I wanted it to. That one is a revisit to the sun I drew in the last colored pencil drawing. The jury is still out on it so you will just have to wait for another post to see what I am up to.


The tentative title for this is Tethered, subject to change of curse, but right now I think it fits.

Next are a couple of more of my Nature Journal pages.


Last Friday I drove out to Stony Brook sanctuary to see if they had any butterflies. I did photograph one, but it isn't my best so I won't post it. The drawings in the Journal are of an acorn and an oak leaf, as there were quite a few leaves on the ground from our Hurricane and some immature acorns. Not as many acorns as I would have expected given the time of year, so I will be interested in seeing how large the crop is this fall. It may be a bad year for squirrels and chipmunks.

Speaking of chipmunks, I watched one scurry down its hole, I wasn't fast enough to make a photo though I did capture another one in a photo a bit later on. I don't think I had realized they lived in holes in the ground which seems silly as I know they live in the woods and not in trees like squirrels, so why I didn't connect them to the holes I occasionally see I don't know.

I went slightly off trail to photograph a downed tree and ended up photographing the green frog in the drawing above. I don't usually see the frogs much less get to photograph them so this was fun for me.

Yesterday I made my weekly trek to Daniel Webster sanctuary:


The Canada Geese are migrating, and they find Daniel Webster a perfect spot to rest on their journey. The mowed fields are a great food source and they use the pond as a large bird bath before they continue their flights. It was fun to sit in the hide and watch the flock behavior. The geese really immerse themselves in the water when having a bath, some even looked like they rolled over on their backs, at least I could see the light under body feathers. After getting thoroughly wet they preen and flap their wings to dry. When the group is finished bathing they pull apart from the rest into an open section of the pond. Then one starts honking and the others take it up, I think it is sort of like a roll call, when it is done one bird will take off first and the rest will follow.

The sketches in the book are top, several geese at the pond preening. Middle is a sketch of some bittersweet with leaves and berries. I think this is American bittersweet which isn't as destructive as the Asian variety, but I may be wrong. The last image is of a Canada Goose in the process of taking off from the pond.

My last image for you today is last nights figure drawing.


Not much to say about this. I am not sure I have her sitting "in" the chair, but am otherwise fairly pleased with how it came out.

That is it for today. We have cloudy sky's and off and on rain in the forecast for the next couple of days. I am sure we need it. The Pond at Daniel Webster was down from last week. Per usual comments are welcome and appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment