Friday, September 2, 2011

September Sun and Journal Updates


It is finished, I think, but I haven't sprayed the fixative on it yet nor have I signed my name. The sun doesn't work the way I wanted it to when I started this. Course I am not sure why or I would fix it. Hmm, maybe if I had put it a bit further up in the sky. Ah well, I was really just wanting to spend more time with my new Stonehendge paper, so this exercise does serve that purpose. Not sure I really like this paper for my colored pencil work. It takes a lot of light layers and I find I get impatient with it.

I am not done with this sun by any means, in fact I just traced it over onto a new piece of Stonehendge and will try something different with it this time. No pillar for one thing.

In the aftermath of our Hurricane Irene, we have had beautiful weather this week so I have been out and about to my various nature sites. Below are 2 pages from my journal.


I was in Massasoit State park for the above page. Mostly in the areas around Lake Rico. Though the day wasn't that hot (upper 70's) it was muggy so it was uncomfortable under the trees limiting how far I wanted to walk. The drawings are of some pine cones I picked up, just about actual size. Not sure what the tree for the smaller ones is, but the longer top cone is from a Eastern White Pine. The bottom two sketches are of a seed pod on a Lady Slipper. Looks like the bloom dries up and just hangs off the front of the pod. I only saw the one seed pod, though I saw a lot of Lady Slippers with the flower stem still standing. At least I know where to go looking for Lady Slippers next spring.


Yesterday I drove up to the Blue Hills Reservation. I started around the Trailside Museum where they have the birdfeeders and a wildflower garden. Not much activity butterfly wise, though I did manage a photo of a yellow butterfly, and did see another Common Buckeye. I have two images in the Journal from that site, the top drawing which is of some seedpods, dry and empty, of daffodils of all things. And a drawing of a New England Astor bloom, plants of which I found blooming on the grounds.

I then drove over to Houghton's Pond and walked around the pond. What I found most to photograph were mushrooms, all sizes, many different shapes and colors. I used two of those photos to draw my last 2 images in the Journal. The first one is a yellow mushroom, and yes it is that yellow, and I had to add the colored pencil color to do it justice. The last mushroom I drew in just black and white as the mushroom is basically black and white. I don't recall seeing that last before and I found it only in one location.

There are a lot of Eastern White Pines in the woods around the pond, this means there is a lot of area with little undergrowth and just pine needles for a flooring. Mushrooms seem to love this environment as I certainly saw a lot of them.

I thought you might like to see the photos of the mushrooms I drew:


This is Not photoshopped, well I did crop the image but the color is the color it was. I have tentatively identified this as a Amanita muscaria var. guessowii, but this stem is smooth and the photos I have seen of the guesowii have rough stems. If it is guessowii it is a poisonous mushroom, though it would probably take a several to do you in, still with this one I would look and not touch.


Last photo, my tentative identification of this one is Old Man of the Woods, eatable, but all sources say not worth bothering with as it doesn't have much flavor.  Please note: I am NOT a mushroom expert, even though I think I have identified this one as eatable I may be mistaken, and mushrooms in the field can often look like different species at different stages of growth. Please don't pick and eat wild mushrooms unless you have a guide who knows what they are doing. I am only photographing not picking mushrooms.

That is it for today. Per usual comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment