Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Some Computer Art, a Journal Page and a Figure


I don't usually make a lot of computer art. Obviously when I was taking Graphic Design classes everything had to be done on the computer, but for the past year or so I have been focusing on my drawn (as in pencil/pen and paper) art. Still for Christmas this year I found myself wanting some new tags for my gift wrapping but didn't have either the time or inspiration to work on them at that time. Since I have been home from my Christmas holidays I have challenged myself to come up with some new tag designs for next year.

These first two images are what I have come up with so far. Any critiques, comments or suggestions would be welcome. Both have been done in Adobe Illustrator. It has been interesting trying to remember my skills in that program, but I think I have managed fairly well. The snowflakes were esp. fun to create. Though I have to admit I was getting a bit tired of the process by the time I did the fifth one so I cheated and just reused one for the background snowflake.


This design was a bit more straight forward, except for the text on path, which took me a bit to remember how to do. Then felt somewhat the idiot because it is really very easy in Illustrator, Corel Draw is the program where it was a pia to put text on a path. .


Above is my journal page from yesterday's visit to Daniel Webster in Marshfield. The top drawing is of a Turtle Dove that I saw in the woods. Usually I only see the turtle doves around the feeders, and there they are mostly on the ground. So to see one in a tree in the woods was unusual, well for me.

The lower sketch is of some bushes over by the River. I drew them because I have drawn them before, but last time there was a nest still in among the branches. Yesterday I noticed the nest was gone. Not quite sure when it vanished. I am sometimes not as observant as I would like to be. But I think it probably happened over the weekend when we had some very strong winds.


Above is last nights figure drawing. The model was almost in a pin-up pose. I have to say that I found this pose much more satisfactory to draw than last weeks. Course that is partly my own fault, I should have moved last week for a better view.

Below are a couple of photographs I want to share:


The above photo was made in Blue Hills Reservation Saturday. It shows what is left of the old Route 128 two lane roadway. The current Route 128 is a 6 lane (or more) limited access highway that circles Boston and was mainly built back in the 1950's. When they built the new highway this stretch of road was abandoned and the land it is on was made part of the Blue Hills Reservation. A trade I am sure for the land they took for the larger highway. I didn't quite follow it to the end of pavement, but some other day I will.

It was a bit strange walking this road and knowing that I wouldn't see any cars on it, just other walkers. It is in surprisingly good shape for a road that has been unused for so long. But notice that the trees have grown right at the blacktops edge, something that would never happen on an in-use road.


The image above is from Daniel Webster made yesterday on my walk, I just like the colors and the interplay of light and shadow.

That is it for today. Per usual comments are welcome.

1 comment: