Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Early Valentine, Nature Journal and Figure


I was just fooling around in the sketchbook the other evening, thinking I should do something with hearts since it will soon be valentine's day. Not that I send anyone a valentine, I don't but hearts are fun to play with so... I used pen for the lines and the black and added colored pencil for the red hearts. To add text I scanned the page and used Adobe Illustrator. I should play with this some more, the background is a bit dirty and while I did a little cleanup it wasn't quite enough. Also I am not sure about the font I used, or the size of the text.  But it was fun to play with so that is about all I can ask for sometimes.

Below is a Nature Journal page from a visit to Massasoit State Park in East Taunton, MA.


Top sketch is just some dried seed heads/flowers I found in the Spillway area of the park. I am not even sure what plant they are from, something that flowered in the fall, but other than that I don't know.

I am afraid the bottom image is a bit hard for the viewer to read. It is an open clam shell. I found this sitting on top of pine needles at the tip of a spit of land that extended out into Lake Rico. I have no clue how it got there or actually where it is from. Lake Rico is a fresh water lake, and the ocean is really miles away. I did see some seagulls on the lake while I was there, and there are fresh water clams so, who knows. I suppose it is possible that it was left by people, but the land wasn't near a picnic area, and really while it has been warm for this time of year it still hasn't been picnic weather, besides there was only the one.

I feel that part of the purpose of my Journal is for me to document the oddities I come across in my walks so here is another one to puzzle over.


Above is last nights figure drawing. I am not happy with it, though it didn't turn out to be quite the disaster I thought it was going to be at one point.

The young woman who was our model last night is really lovely, though fairly slender, with almost a boyish figure. I am finding this type of figure very difficult to draw. I think I have her legs too long, but I struggled over her face for so long that I fear I neglected the lower section of the drawing.

Back to my theme of birds. Below find a couple of photos I made at our local Park here in Brockton.


A seagull flying against the sky.  During the winter we get quite a flock of gulls that winter over in the park. People feed the geese and the gulls get their share, mostly the gulls are still fairly young and perfectly happy to be freeloaders.


I made this photo as the sun was starting to set. It shows a flock of geese flying off to a different resting spot for the night.

That is it for today, per usual comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment