Saturday, May 5, 2012

More Challenge Drawings


All of my drawings today have been done for one challenge or another. Since I have been working on these challenges I don't have any other work to show today. I did spend time this week matting and framing 3 drawings to take to a local Art show to see if they can get through the jury process. Cross your fingers for me, please. I am hoping they take one of them anyway, but have no expectations that they will take all three. I selected very diverse images so hopefully one of them will appeal to the Judge. My other side project this week was to cut some new Stonehenge paper up into smaller pieces for me to use for my art. One of the smaller pieces was used for the above pen and ink drawing.

This is another of my weekly pen and ink only drawings for the WetCanvas Pen and Ink forum. Another still life, this with 2 apples and a peach. The plate isn't totally round, and I don't like the dark outline around the rear apple, but I do like how the red delicious apple came out, and the peach isn't too bad. Drawn on Stonehenge paper with Micron 005 and 01 pens.

These next 4 images were drawn for the Every Day in May Challenge. This is the second year I have attempted to do this project and so far so good, course we are only 5 days in so who knows how it will go.


The Every Day in May Challenge list is taken from the Everyday Matters list. I will reference the number from the Matters list on every drawing but also give the date so you know what day in May the challenge was for. To check out the Flickr Every Day in May group click HERE.

The above drawing was for May 1st, draw a landscape. I chose a photo that was actually one of the WetCanvas challenge photo's. Not sure where this rocky coast is located. It reminds me of Maine, except Maine doesn't usually have black rocks and this beach did.


For May 2nd we were supposed to draw something related to our New Years Resolution. I don't make New Years Resolutions, and actually can't recall the last time I did, so I drew a blank Post It Pad. I think it took me longer to come up with the idea than it did to draw it.


For May 3rd we could draw anything we liked. I selected another WetCanvas Challenge photo and drew this Audubon Warbler. I really should have done this one in colored pencil, the bird is a beautiful blue with some yellow accents.


Last but not least for May 4th we had to draw a present. I drew this soft doll that my mother gave to me many years ago. I don't recall if it was for a Birthday or a just because gift. Anyway I have always thought it cute and it now lives on a shelf in my living room. It used to live on top of my TV, but the new flat screen TV's don't have enough space.

All of these drawings were done in my EDM sketchbook with graphite (pencil).


Today's photo is actually over a week old. We have had rain/clouds since Monday so I haven't been out and about to make any photos this week. This is a cabbage Butterfly, settled in the grass after something, dew or maybe even soil for minerals. I have been seeing the Cabbage whites and yellows for several weeks but this was the first chance I have had to photograph one.

That is it for today. I am feeling the need to start on another major project just have to settle down and decide what it should be. In the meantime comments are always welcome.


10 comments:

  1. Love the rocks -- it doesn't even look as though you did it from a photo, more like it was done from life. Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna Thanks, I actually don't like doing Plein Air works - too many bugs , but I do draw from life every chance I get. When I use photographs for my drawings I try to remember to not put too much detail into distant objects/figures, and that it is permissible to leave stuff out. I now mostly draw what I have photographed so I do have my visual memories to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see that someone is doing the drawing a day challenge for May. Thoroughly enjoyed your slideshow of quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandra there are a few of us who are doing the Everyday in May challenge, many are posting to the Flickr group. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the reflections on the red delicious apple. Awesome drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. fantastic sketches! The tones are amazing =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynn and Alex thanks for your comments, getting values right is something I work on all the time. I find that if I can get values right people tend to not notice what else might be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting post and wonderful drawings. I'm really impressed with the ink drawing of the fruit! nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have a lovely style that works well over both pencil and pen and ink.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nancy and Meegan Thanks for your comments, I enjoy using both pencil and pen and ink. Since I don't paint other than dabbling with watercolor I have spent my time developing my style with both.

    ReplyDelete