Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Stipple Flowers and figure drawings


It is finally finished. I started the above stipple piece of Bladder Campion last fall but ended up putting it aside to work on other projects. About a week or two ago I finally pulled it back out and started working on it again. Yesterday I finally put the finishing dots in place. The drawing is based on a photograph I made in June 2011 in Massasoit State Park. I really liked the photo and actually decided way back then that I would use it for a drawing. Last fall I decided it was time to take action on using the photo and that it would be a good image for a stipple piece.

The work is 9 x 6 inches, done on Stonehenge paper with a technical pen. I think this paper color is grey, the petals of the flowers only look lighter than the edges because of the contrast with the dark areas next to them. I love this optical effect, and have seen it in other stipple pieces I have done. I have to admit I sometimes get tired of making all those dots but when I get one finished I can't help but feel it was worth the effort.


Last night I went out to a short pose figure drawing session, and I have a few images from the session to post to the blog today. The ones above were 3 minute poses, drawing was done with a pen.


Above is one of my drawings of a 5 minute pose. I was trying out some new paper last night, and while this works I have to do some thinking about what media I want to use on this paper to achieve a more interesting effect.


 Last are 2 drawings of 15 minute poses. I rather like the one on the left, and feel I could have used a bit more time with the one on the right. I have a feeling I was getting pretty tired by that time and it shows in the resulting drawing.



We have been having some lovely spring weather this week. The above photograph is of skunk cabbage which I made Monday in the Blue Hills Reservation. Skunk Cabbage is one of the earliest flowers that bloom in our woods. They aren't very impressive looking I know, but after this winter I will take any signs of spring that I can find.

One last image, yesterday I was over to Daniel Webster (MA Audubon sanctuary) for the first time this year. It was a beautiful day and I was rewarded with the sight of blue birds, a hawk, wood ducks, mallard ducks, a northern shoveler, and some blue wing teal.


The photo above is of a male blue wing teal.

That is it for today, per usual comments are always welcome.

8 comments:

  1. Great work as always! Really like the stippling. It has a lot of contrast and depth with the background. Are you planning on attending or submitting any of your work to any galleries or art shows this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing the stipple flower piece. Really like your figure drawings. I also like your 15 min drawing lots!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt Thanks for the comments, if I can get my act together I do plan on submitting some items for the Festival show, in fact I am thinking about including the stipple piece, which is why I pushed to get it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! the stippling piece is really dramatic. Definitely worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That flower piece is simply gorgeous, as Sandra says - definitely worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Shirley, Sandra and Jane, the stipple takes what seems like forever :) when I am doing it, but I love the look so seem to keep being drawn back to the technique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work on the flower and I like the 2 min poses, amazing how much you can do in such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the flower is simply gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete