Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Ink Work, more Still Life's


I hope you aren't getting bored by all the still life's I have been drawing as above is another one. Had some fruit on hand along with this wooden bowl so thought it would make a good subject. I don't spend a lot of time on these just getting straight to it with my technical pens, mostly the 00 (.30) though occasionally a larger nib.

Often I do one pencil version and then an ink version, I didn't bother with the pencil version of this set up.


For the above I just drew outlines of a couple pieces of fruit in various positions, not an actual arraignment, just something I put on paper. My plan was to scan it into Photoshop and then play.


So above is the outlined fruit in the black and white image with color added in Photoshop. I am much happier with these pears than the ones I did a week or two ago. For one thing the color is more accurate, Bosc pears are more brown than yellow/green. I am also trying to use more shades of color on each object to add the illusion of depth.

I don't spend a lot of time on these, partly because I want them to have a slightly unfinished look. For me that is one of the problems with computer graphics, colors are often too uniform without the shading you see in real life or in non-computerized paintings.


Another drawing from WetCanvas monthly challenge photographs. The above image is from one of February's selected photos. It was a quick study and I am not totally thrilled with it, though there are parts that I like.

I rather like this photograph so am spending more time with it by attempting to translate it as a watercolor. So far no ink, I am just using paint. With my method of working it is a bit slow going so I don't have a finished painting to post today.


The above photograph is from yesterday. The weather reports yesterday were all about the snow storm we are supposed to be getting tomorrow (6 to 10 inches) and nothing about the snow that was falling out of the sky for most of the day. It didn't amount to much, just a couple of inches but still... It was a fairly warm day (temp around 32 degrees) so the snow was wet and sticky. This photograph shows a neighbors tree and bushes with their decoration of snow. I know it doesn't look it, but this is a color photograph, just most of the color was leached out by the grey conditions.

That is it for today, per usual comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment