Saturday, March 22, 2014

Mixed Media, Pen and Ink, and pencil


Above is another of the WetCanvas Pen and Ink forums challenge images. This one is from February (I think) but I just got around to rendering it in Pen and Ink. Not sure what the building is, some kind or shed/barn I suppose. The building behind is brick.

I did lay this out in pencil first to get the perspective correct. Also spent a bit more time with the ink work. As a result I am fairly happy with this drawing. Though I have to say I wish I had kept the distance a bit lighter. For some reason I find it difficult to keep in mind that the further away something is in a drawing/landscape the lighter it should be. The darkest darks should be reserved for only the nearest objects. I know this, but doing it in a drawing sometimes gets tricky.


In my efforts to draw something daily I returned to this small bean pot and just pencil. Didn't spend a huge amount of time on it, but at least it isn't leaning to the right so am relatively happy with the results.


Last nights efforts were from my memory/imagination and ended up looking like ferns of some kind or another. The fact that it is now officially spring (Spring Equinox was on the 20th) probably put ferns in mind. I used my Derwent Graphtint pencils for this. Adding just a tiny bit of water after I finished most of the drawing, though I did add more pencil to some areas after the water. The paper buckled a bit which is why you see shadows in the scan.

Course I had also been reading a book where fiddleheads were written about as being part of the main characters meal so that may factor in.


The photograph above shows sparrows perching on the sign post for the local YWCA. It is just down the street from the YMCA which a much larger facility. The Y is surrounded by bushes which provide hiding spots for the sparrows. I also suspect that someone puts out food for them, as there is always a flock of them around the building.

Still working on a couple of other things, though I admit that I did take a break yesterday from those projects, spent too much time reading instead.

That is it for today, per usual comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment