Monday, May 5, 2014

A Lamb, violets and Chicago Image


After all the portraits thought I would do an animal drawings as a change of pace. I found this image of a lamb, don't recall just where right now and thought it would be fun to draw. Done in the sketchbook I was using for the portraits, it doesn't have that many blank pages left in it and I would really like to finish it off.

Just a quick drawing with HB lead. The image was with some more donkeys so have a feeling I was thinking about adding this image to that drawing I was working on and never finished. Hmm, guess I need to go find it and haul it out and decide if it is worth additional work or not.


The above is two different views of the same flower, one from the side and one from the top. I was on a walk and was able to pick a few violets to bring home. Thankfully the day wasn't so warm that they wilted before I could stick them in some water.

It was kind of fun to do a detailed examination of a flower, though I didn't go so far as to take the flower apart, I did examine it pretty closely to discover all its parts and how the petals and stem attached.

This isn't a very complicated drawing, but considering the amount of flowers I draw, many only from photo references I thought it would be good for me to draw some flowers from life. Being able to hold it in my hand and examine it from all angles should help even with flowers that don't look anything like a violet. Besides I occasionally draw flowers that I make up, so knowing how the real ones work helps.

Drawn first with graphite then outlined with one of my technical pens and colored pencil was added. I didn't work too hard to get the color exactly right, it should probably have a bit more red, but this is close enough when I take into account scanners and the fact everyone's monitor can be slightly different.


The above drawing is for another of my Journals. Everywhere I look people seem to be creating journals esp. of vacations or trips. So a few years ago I assembled a journal with the intent that I would use it to document one of my Christmas visits to Chicago. Per usual my intentions didn't match reality. I started out OK, but once in Chicago the journal got put aside so I didn't get to far with it.

Since then I occasionally pull it out and look at it, even more occasionally I decide that I need to work in it. So last night I finally finished the sketch and inking for this page. It shows the Blue Line station at O'Hare Airport with a waiting train. This is the cheapest way to get into Chicago, even though they have upped the fare from the airport it is still by far the best deal.

I take this line to the Belmont Station and transfer to a city bus to get to my Sisters. Travel takes about an hour if I don't have to wait for buses or trains, it might be faster by Taxi, but then again considering traffic on the highways at may times of day probably not.

Anyway I may add some more detailing to the wall behind the train, but otherwise this isn't a bad representation of the station. Now I have to decide if I want to show the bus terminal where I pick the bus up or if I should just skip that part of my trip, decisions, decisions.

By the way as a total aside this is the station where a few weeks ago a train driver didn't stop the train before it ran out of track, it jumped off the rails, up and over the flooring and plowed into the exit escalator with some very serious injuries. I didn't show that part of the station which would be to the viewers left.


Another photograph of a weeping cherry, this time the photograph is a close up of some of the blossoms. Sorry, but I just love these trees with their early pink flowers. They are one of those that bloom prior to leafing out so the pink is even more apparent than it would otherwise be.

That is it for today, per usual comments are always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment