Monday, September 15, 2014

More plant drawings, and line comparisions


Going to be a fairly short posting today. Above is a graphite sketch of some leaves with yellowish berries. I fear I did a bit of vandalism as I picked this short branch to take with me as a reference for this drawing. As the bush this comes from is rather over grown I think my vandalism can be excused and won't even be noticed.

Done in my sketchbook with a B grade lead. I suppose I could have spent more time on this, but am still rather pleased with the outcome. Not sure what the bush is, if I find I have some time and the inclination I will try to find out. Right now the berries are yellowish but I am not sure that is their final color so I will be keeping an eye on the bushes to see.


A small stem of small white asters. I made this sketch with one of my technical pens directly, no pencil drawing first. The plant this comes from is just being opportunistic growing in a waste area, wild flowers in the city.

Both of these drawings were done in one of my sketchbooks and are more or less studies, these studies are a way for me to keep my hand in while I work on other projects.


A photo of my work in progress of the leaves I started a couple of weeks ago. I have been spending my time since that last update on this working on the stipple background. It probably still needs more work in areas but I was beginning to get impatient with it so decided to start adding color. I am using colored pencils as the paper I am using (Bristol Board, velum) isn't at all tolerant of water.

Each leaf size will be a different color, the largest is yellow, the middle sized leaf is blue and the smallest leaves will be violet/purple.


You are probably wondering what the heck the above image is. It is me drawing lines using the various pens/nibs that I use in my drawings. There is a discussion over in the WetCanvas Pen and Ink forum about how an artist got his fine lines. The way many pen and ink artists work when the work is intended for publication is to work large, then when the image is reduced the line work appears finer than it really is. Another way is to actually use a pen/nib that creates a fine line.

I prefer to work with a fine pen line myself so decided to compare my various tips/pens to see which were the finest. The winner is the Rapidograph technical pens, exp. the 3X0 and the 4X0 tips. I used the 3X0 for the stippling in the leaf work above. It takes a while to achieve a mid-tone with that size tip, but I really like the look so I use it.

Next thinnest would be the Micron 005 pen. But I have found that the last few Microns I purchased just didn't seem to hold up as well as they used to, so I currently prefer my technical pens.

Last are my dip pen tips, I really need to get some new nibs as I am fairly sure there are some on the market that will make a finer line. However, I am going to have to order them on-line as none of the Brick and mortar stores I visit carry what I am looking for.


I believe this pretty white flowering vine is Sweet Autumn Clematis. I have no clue how this vine came to be growing where it is, in some trees next to a stream prior to it going under a roadway, esp. as the area is not currently a tended garden. From the abundance of white flowers it seems to be doing quite well and is happy in its semi wild location. Since this is not a native species I expect that at one time there was a garden in this area and the vine was planted then, or maybe not, perhaps it is just a volunteer, or maybe there is a secrete gardener who planted it in the dead of night, can you tell I am finding it fun to speculate?

Anyway that is it for today, per usual comments are welcome.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment