Monday, July 10, 2017

Some Recent Bird Photos


I heard the bird in the above photo before I saw it, and when I was able to check the photo I immediately recognized it. This is a fledgling Baltimore Oriole. It was calling out for one of its parents to come and find it and feed it of course. I first found a fledgling Baltimore Oriole a couple of years ago in my local park. That one was on the ground and making a huge racket. I photographed it but left it alone per what I have read on-line about fledgling birds - parents are usually somewhere close so they don't need human help. I wasn't too concerned about the one above since a parent soon showed up, at least that is what I think happened. I never saw the adult bird but the fledgling stopped its chirping  and I heard leaves rustling so I think mom or dad arrived with a meal. What happened to the one in the park I don't know, hopefully it could fly enough to get off the ground once a parent arrived to claim it. This one I photographed at Ames Nowell State Park, Abington, MA.


This is a House or English Sparrow. Normally I don't share photographs of these birds, they aren't native to the US and have become something of a pest. Taking nest boxes that birders would rather go to native birds that are quite frankly usually prettier, like Blue Birds. But this is a leucistic bird. Note that the feathers have little to no color while the eye is a normal dark color. If this were an albino bird the eye would be pink or red. I photographed this bird at Trailside Museum, Blue Hills Reservation, Milton, MA.


These next two photos were made at the same spot, Ames Nowell State Park, Abington, MA. but days apart. On the first occasion clouds had moved in and I didn't have enough light to get anything other that a silhouette of this Humming Bird. That said the shape is unmistakable.


I went back a couple of days later and had enough sun to pick up some color. Male Ruby Throated Hummingbird, stretching wings prior to taking off from its perch. The area where I photographed the bird (I have a feeling it is the same one) has many bushes of flowering native azalea. But I have seen Hummingbirds in this area before. One spring I watched and listened as a male sang from the top of a tree, marking territory I thought, but I wasn't able to get any photographs that year, so it was fun to get them now.  Of course I have seen Hummingbirds around bird feeders, but somehow it is more fun to find them out in the field (so to speak)


The above bird is a Song Sparrow, one of our native sparrows. I photographed this one in the field at the Governor Ames Estate in Easton, MA. The field has been allowed to grow wild, and is covered with grasses and wild flowers. I go hunting butterflies, but the Song Sparrows love the field, between the grass seeds and insects it has to be a wonderful food source. Usually there is at least one that will perch on some taller plants and chirp at me, letting all the other birds in the area know there is an invader in their field. This one was pretty close to me, but it bravely held its ground (perch) while letting others know to beware.


Photographed the above bird at Massasoit State Park, East Taunton, MA. over the weekend. I believe this is a fledgling Red-wing Blackbird, it certainly sounded like one and I know that adult birds had a nest in the area I photographed this bird. Otherwise I just like this photo the bird seems to have a cheeky expression.

That is it for today, next time I think I will do Odes, they can be beautiful, though I am not sure about my photographs sill I find them interesting so want to share. Per usual comments are welcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment