Friday, April 9, 2010

Photoshop Tips - Watermark a Photo

No art work this week to show, but in my Photography class we were going over lighting specifically for portraits, and in Photoshop how to add a copyright notice to photographs. Above is a photo that I have added copyright information to using Photoshop. It is really fairly easy to do, I would say almost the hardest part is getting the copyright symbol to show. I have CS3 at home and we were using CS4 at school, I am fairly sure the tip will work with older versions and maybe Elements as well, but I don't have access to those versions so I don't know for sure.

To add what looks like a watermark to a photo, you first open the photo in Photoshop. Then you select the Type tool and change your tool selection to the Type MASK tool, I use horizontal type as vertical type is usually really stupid looking and something I have been trained to avoid in Graphic Design. Select your font and font size (I used 200 for the image above) Click on your picture where you want to put the copyright information, for those who haven't used the Type Mask tool before it is OK that the layer turns red, just go ahead and type where the flashing curser shows up. First you want to create the © symbol. I have listed the various methods for Windows OS below, for Mac's I think it is Command g not sure what the Tradmark and Registered symbol shortcuts are on a Mac, sorry.

          Windows Keyboard Shortcuts:
                 Copyright symbol = Alt 0169
                 Trademark = Alt 0153
                 Registered  = Alt 0174
          HTML
                 ©  "&#0169"
                 ™ "&#0153"
                 ® "&#0174" 
                 Note: for HTML coding leave out the quote marks.

So to get the copyright symbol on a PC in Photoshop press down the ALT key and type in 0169 on the keypad (make sure num lock is on) . Then type the rest of your copyright information, usually your name and the year.  When you are finished press the check mark that is in the upper right hand menu bar, it is the Commit Edits selection. Now you should have your text outlined in what is referred to as marching ants, because that is sort of what it looks like. Next you want to copy this selection to a new layer, do that by using the menu option LAYER - NEW - LAYER VIA COPY (or Ctl J). Don't worry I know it looks like your text just disappeared but it hasn't. In the layers panel you should now see a new layer and it should be automatically selected. In the lower left area of the layers panel there should be a fx symbol (doesn't look exactly like the text) this is for attributes that you can apply to layers, click on it and a box will come up listing various options, select Bevel and Emboss. Just by selecting this you should now be able to see the text you typed on your Photograph. You can change the various sliders to make the text more obvious if you want. When you are finished just click OK and you are done. Now you can save the file, I usually just use save for web and then cancel any changes to my original photo but you can also save the photo as a copy or before you started making changes to your image you could have copied the background to a new layer and made the changes there. The JPG file format is called Lossy because it is a compressed file. Every time you save the file after changes you loose some information because of the compression. So I try to keep my original photos without any changes and if I make changes to a photo I just save that under a new name using SAVE AS. Do what works for you. So now you know how to create a watermark in Photoshop.


These last two images are the same photo, we were doing studies using light, and I took a photo of this doll with back lighting. Notice how dark her face is since I didn't use the flash. If I were photographing a person I would be using a reflector to the front or side to lighten their face but it can also be done to a certain degree by using Photoshop. All I did to the 2nd image was open the original in Photoshop then selected the following menu option - IMAGE - ADJUSTMENTS - SHADOW/HIGHLIGHT... The photo automatically lightened because of the presets, but you can also use the sliders to do additional adjusting. If you like the results you can press OK, otherwise use the cancel button. I think this option is very cool, and can be very useful exp. for photos like the one on the left above.

That is it for this post. I could have talked a bit about what I learned about lighting people for portraits but I think I will save that for another day. Hopefully for my next post I will have some art work to show. In the meantime comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment