Saturday, March 17, 2012

EDM198, More crows and flowers


I have been busy working on the two drawing below, but I did find time to make another Everyday Matters sketch. This one was for #198: Draw some Noodles. I chose to be a bit liberal in what I considered noodles, and really went with dried pasta. I could have drawn spaghetti noodles since that is what I had for dinner, but I was hungry and didn't want to let my dinner get cold while I drew so those got eaten and I used dried pasta shapes for my drawing.

Shapes are rotini, shells and elbows. I also have egg noodles in the cabinet, but forgot about them when I was pulling samples to draw. The hardest was the rotini, sort of like a screw and I did use some guide lines which I then erased to help with that one. The shells were fun, and a bit more complex than I expected. The elbows were probably the simplest shape, and in the end the lest fun to draw.


Above is my latest stipple piece finished. Well I think it is finished, but as I keep finding border areas that I think aren't quilt dark enough I may be adding a bit more dots there. I think I will leave the center alone. I was originally going to use line work for the center, but then decided it wouldn't be in keeping with the rest of the piece so ended up stippling the tree and birds.

Don't look too closely at the image, I assembled it in Photoshop after scanning it in 2 sections, the finished drawing is a bit too large to fit on my scanner as one scan. I will photograph it when we have better weather, today is a bit too cloudy to get a good photo of this. Size is 11 x 10 inches on Stonehenge paper, stipple done with a 3X technical pen.  


One last drawing for today, a watercolor of some pink dogwood flowers. From a photograph I made a couple of years ago of a neighbors tree. I simplified the photo a bit and left out the real background . This is the first larger sized watercolor I have done for a while, and the first where I didn't use any zentangle type fills. Done on cold press water color paper size is 7.0 inches by 5.0 inches. I did use pen to outline the stems, branches and petals prior to painting.


Above is the a the section of my photograph that I used for reference. Pretty aren't they, course we still have a couple of months before they will be blooming again here.

That is it for today, per usual comments are always welcome.

11 comments:

  1. Really like your two drawings - the first having the most amazing border and the second is such a brilliant rendition of the photograph...very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dogwood flowers! Looks just like the photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ann and Lynn, I keep telling myself I don't have to copy the photo and then end up pretty much doing just that, though in this case I did leave a lot of stuff out. Ann every now and then I enjoy designing elaborate borders, once designed they can be pretty mindless to work on, which is sometimes nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The noodles sketched like that remind me of shells found on a beach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the crow drawing with its original frame. And the flower painting is gorgeous, so neatly composed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks kazumiwannabe, Mary I probably had shells in mind when I drew these, I have drawn a lot of shells, pasta has such fun shapes and I only have a few of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work! I was amazed when I read about the second one...I didn't realize that you did the border too. I just thought maybe you got that from some software or something and put your drawing into the middle of it. Wow! Superb work! I think you also did great simplifying the dogwood!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Raena I own a couple of books by George Bain that give construction methods for Celtic Art - one at least is a Dover publication. They can be tedious to draw but not that difficult once you understand the underlying grids. Though what I did here isn't really Celtic, just sort of based on what they did, and much simpler to construct. I love the Dover publications great references for design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both are just wonderful, and the pasta does, indeed, remind me of shells on the beach! nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nanke, thanks, I don't think that the pasta would survive very long a beach though, something would be sure to come along and eat it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! Love how you're able to transform nature into wonders on pages =)

    ReplyDelete