Monday, May 12, 2014

New ATC, pen and ink, and flower


I finally finished it, my watercolor ATC (Artist Trading Card) version of the rocking horse I drew a couple of weeks ago. Design is based on various antique rocking horses and influenced by my memories of the horse I had as a child.

I loved that horse, and for a long time (well it seemed a long time) I rode weekly with Roy Rogers as he and Dale vanquished the bad guys. I can't recall what name I gave it. It was a palomino like Trigger and probably my favorite plaything. Eventually I got to big and to old to ride and it was put away but I remember it fondly.

Course mine wasn't a real rocking horse, its body was probably fiberglass, and instead of rockers it had springs that allowed the horse to rock, back and fourth on its wooden base.

The ATC is pen and ink with watercolor on Fabriano 140lb cold press watercolor paper.


Haven't been doing any pen and ink work lately, not quite sure why, just haven't felt like it I guess. But I decided I had better get my act together or I won't have done any of the WetCanvas Pen and Ink forums May challenge images.

So above is a barn, a bit of a strange barn with the hole in the middle, but the photograph calls it a barn so I guess it is. Not sure why someone would design a barn this way but I am sure they had their reasons.

I drew it out in graphite first then added ink using various sized technical pens, drawn in my sketchbook so paper wasn't of the best.


Another colored pencil/pen and ink flower drawing, done from a live plant, this is I think either Dames Rocket or an escaped close garden relative. The leaves aren't quite right for a Dames Rocket, but the flower colors, shapes and growth habits are so I guess I will leave the identification as is unless someone wants to tell me otherwise.

The plant was growing wild in an empty lot so I felt no guilt picking it and bringing it home to draw.


The photograph for today is the same tree I showed in my last update, but this time the redbuds are in bloom. Not too far away were a couple of white redbuds, but I think this pink is more visually interesting. I love spring, hopefully for my next update I will have a pink dogwood photograph. 

That is it for today. Per usual comments are welcome. 













No comments:

Post a Comment