Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Signs of Spring - finally


I think after our long cold, snowy winter spring is finally coming to New England. It is being a bit slow this year, but I am sure that all it will take to really get the plants moving is a couple of warm days. We have already had a couple, but the warmer weather seems to last only for a day and then we are back into the chill. Still I have been out making photographs these last few days. The above image is a sample of some of my flower photo's. Close ups since distance shots tend to look pretty grey and bleak.

Went to another drawing session last night. See image below for how I did.


Last nights model was very slender which actually makes them harder to draw. I am not sure I have all the proportions correct, but I tried. I wasn't the only one having issues, another of our regulars who paints ended up wiping his canvas and for the last hour did a quick portrait. Otherwise I did enjoy the evening, which included some discussion about our local Classical Radio Station and how boring their musical picks had gotten just before the station changed ownership to become a member of Boston's Public broadcasting group.  I do wish that the timing had been a bit different for that acquisition. If only they had purchased the station when it still was on its original frequency, they would have a much stronger signal and be able to reach more listeners. Ah well I am at least thankful that the station still exists, not sure what I would have done if they had shut down. I listen to the station at night, it helps me to sleep.

I have one more image for today, and that is the finished beets drawing. Last posting I included an image of the drawn beets without the additional fills and no color. Here is it finished:


I found it a bit tricky to find fills for the leaves and stems that would add texture but not be too dark for when I added in the color. I hope I succeeded in compromising effectively. These were fun to do and I am thinking about doing more veggies. So far it is just the beets and peppers but I have been collecting images of other vegetables so we will see what happens. I am open to suggestions if anyone has any.

That is it for today, I am working on some other drawings and did finish the Daisy's drawing that I posted last week, I will posted the finished image of that later this week. In the meantime comments are always welcome and if you are interested in seeing more of my spring photography check out my Facebook fan page.

No comments:

Post a Comment